Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Finding my life

I'm finding my life.

I have worked as a Software Developer for almost thirty years, but I want something new and refreshing.  This may sound a little like a mid-life crisis.  Although, I just know myself better now then I did in my teens and twenties when I got so involved in programming languages.  I have to respect all the technology that I have learned over the years, but I need to express myself creatively. 
I thought this meant working on crafty projects in my spare time which I love, but I want more.
I am intrigued by projects like Mnopedia or Wikipedia.  I think this is increasing with social media exploding, and search engines more robust then ever before.
I have to say one of my favorite social media networks is ravelry.com.  Everyone on the site is a knitter or a crocheter.  I connect with these people. 
So, I'm a creative person with a technology background, but what kind of job can you get with that?
I'm interested in history.  That is why you see the previous blog is about land history.  I'm amazed at how much can be learned about who and what came before us.

I've always wanted to write my own book.  I've started many times.  I have short stories I've written, but I keep them to myself.  
I took a creative writing class, but I cringed at the idea of actually posting something I created for publishing.  (yeah, I know I write a blog - I have two followers - and one is my sister).

I applied for a Master's Degree in Historic Preservation at the Savannah College of Art and Design.  I finished submitting my portfolio, which I was focused on for many days, and now I have doubts whether it is even good enough to warrant acceptance.  I asked the admission counselor if she could give me a full day of her attention just so I can finish and start thinking about actually attending school.  Oh, that brings up another problem I have - recommendations - I've asked people, some completely ignore me, others say they will do it, but don't.   UGH!    Enough said.

I also thought about applying for internships, but how do you do that when  you don't know the parameters to getting credit for them.  Minnesota History Center is working on some very interesting projects.  Writing an encyclopedia, yes.

Of course, with all these thoughts, I still need to pay the bills.

Here is a shout out to anyone who feels like posting a reccommendation for me.  It needs to be e-mailed to admission@scad.edu.  Yes, I'm desperate.


History, technology, and writing.  Merge it all together and you come out with ????

Stay tuned to find out the answer to the meaning of life, or shall I say my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment